Overnight Deep Conditioning and Shampooing in braids

14:41:00



Take two.
The last time I shampooed with my hair in braids, I experienced some breakage and I never tried it again. I decided to give it another try because I seemed to have started out not liking a lot of things: sectioning, flexi-rods, wrapping, even pin curls! So why not try this again as well? I shampooed again this week because I had a lot of build up on my scalp which means one of two things: it's either I didn't wash properly last week, or I didn't rinse thoroughly after my protein treatment. Either ways, I had to shampoo again. Here's how my wash day went:

Products used

-MG Deep Conditioner
-MG Stimulating Shampoo
-MG Detangling Conditioner
-MG Leave-in Strengthener
-Fantasia IC Serum
-MG Growth Oil & Castor Oil

1. I sectioned my hair into four quadrants, applied MG leave in for slip, then parted each quadrant into smaller sections and detangled with my fingers and a wide tooth comb. I noticed that I had very little shed hair coming out, which I think is amazing because I don't do anything to combat shedding, I haven't done a tea rinse in months!


2. I applied MG Deep Conditioner to each quadrant, twisted them into bantu knots, covered my hair with a plastic bag and scarf and left it in overnight. I finally decided to try this method of deep conditioning because my overnight prepoo of last week left my hair very soft. At this point I should say that I left it in for twelve straight hours because I applied it a few hours before I actually went to sleep, and I didn't rinse it out the next day until I had time to do my hair. I was worried that my hair would be soggy from moisture overload, but it was fine! I'm guessing it's because all my Mega Growth products have protein in them so it was sort of balanced. However, I wouldn't suggest that anyone should try this, because you might not be so lucky.

3. I shampooed twice with my hair in braids and this time, it was successful!


Here's what I did differently:

*I made each braid firmer at the base. The first time around, I made loose braids which probably caused the snagging when I worked the shampoo into my scalp.

*I took a small mirror into the bathroom to able to see exactly what I was doing.

*I added just a little water to the shampoo to loosen the consistency so that it can come out of the applicator, at the same time, not turn it completely to liquid. I did this because I noticed that my shampoo is not really effective when I add too much water.

4. So I shampooed in sections, what next? Everyone talks about shampooing in braids, but no one says what to do next. Do I condition with the braids, or do I loosen them first. I went with the logical and conditioned with the braids. I applied MG Detangling conditioner to my hair after squeezing out the excess water first, then I massaged the conditioner into my hair and let it sit for two minutes before rinsing it out.

5. I t-shirt dried my hair (still with the braids), for 15 minutes and then as I loosened each braid, I applied MG Daily leave in strengthener and Fantasia IC Serum and detangled.

6. When I was done with my whole head, my four sections where still intact so I put them in ponytails to stretch my new growth as it air dried.


7. When it was 90% dry, I wrapped it to straighten it further for a few more hours and then I did this really weird, braid around my head and then pulled the rest of my hair into a low bun. I did this because I noticed some breakage at the bottom left section of my hair, and I have the hands-in-hair syndrome, so I decided to step up my protective styling techniques and get that area back into shape.



Keep in mind that this is the first time I'm doing a cornrow on my head since I started my hair journey, and my first style of choice was to do one all around my head! I will work on making the style look better before I make a tutorial.

I will keep this hairstyle in for a week, and I will retain moisture by spritzing it with water and doing the GHE/Baggy Method 3 times a week. For those who don't know, this method involves covering your head with a shower cap or a plastic bag for 6-8 hours. It's an excellent way to retain length and add moisture to your hair.

Whew! This seemed like a really long post. I'm trying make my blog more informative, so I guess it's worth it.

How was your wash day?  Do you have any challenges?  What protective styles are you wearing?


The Wash Day Experience

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Well done. I tried washing in braids when I first started my hair journey but it didn't turn out so great. My wash day was pretty good. I tried my curlformers again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Uzo! I'm glad you like your curformers. Do you use heat to dry or do you air dry?

      Delete

About Me

Like us on Facebook