Relaxer Update @ 12 weeks post.

05:55:00

For some very strange reason, I just couldn't handle stretching my relaxer this period, I don't know why. I've done a 6 month stretch before and I was even considering transitioning (kudos to my natural sistas!), but at 10 weeks, my hair was tangled and breaking off very easily at the line of demarcation (the point where the relaxed hair meets the new growth). So after 12 weeks of torture, I texlaxed my hair. Here's how it went.

Relaxer Prep: I wanted to even out the texture on my hair but still not be bone straight, meaning I was going to do a corrective relaxer as well as a touch up, so I deep conditioned a few days before with  Mega growth deep conditioner for 45 minutes on dry hair;
Shampoo with Mega growth Pro-growth shampoo;
Conditioned with Mega growth anti-breakage detangling conditioner;
Applied my leave-ins: Mega growth anti-breakage daily leave-in strengther and Mega growth oil mixed with castor oil.
I air dried for the rest of the day and put my hair in a bun.

Strand test: I wanted to make sure I evened out all my texlaxed hair so for the first time in the history of ever relaxing my hair, I did a strand test. I took a small section of my hair and applied the relaxer to my previously texlaxed hair and my new growth only. I did NOT apply the relaxer to my bone straight ends, I coated them with petroleum jelly and conditioner. Estimated time was about 2-3 mins


Texlaxed: Using the Mega growth no-lye relaxer in super strength, I divided my hair into 8 sections (4 on the left, 4 on the right) because I wanted to make sure I got my whole head evened out and it also helped me work quickly. 
I used the half and half method to texlax my hair, starting with the 4 sections on my right side, applying and smoothing at the same time. 
I rinsed thoroughly, neutralised with Mega growth neutralising shampoo, put it up into a bantu knot and repeated the same process on the left side.

Results

I t-shirt dried for about 10 minutes, air dried, applied Mega growth daily leave-in strengthener, Fantasia straightening serum and my oil mixture. I wrapped the hair overnight to get it as straight as possible.




I am very happy with the results, my hair is still texlaxed, but the texture is more uniform all over my head. Yipee!

                      The Wash Day Experience

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Yemi, Thanks for sharing. I also have to do a corrective relaxer on my previously texlaxed hair. I have a pattern that is from root to tip ss~~~----~~~~~~~-------- with the natural as ss and the bone straight ends at the end (quite a mess!). I will do all my touch-ups myself from here on out.

    I will do a strand test as well for the first time in all my years of relaxing as I'm quite scared of a setback- thanks for the idea. I will coat the thinnest sections with petroleum jelly, only conditioner on the previously texlaxed portion. Pray for me!! Just trying to get a more uniform texture without going bone straight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie! I will pray for you. But don't be too worried, the strand test will tell you all you need to know. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Happy Growing!

      Delete

About Me

Like us on Facebook