Roller setting on soaking wet hair = Uber smooth hair!

23:56:00



I never do anything on soaking wet hair. Never. I work with damp hair or almost dry hair. And it works for my curls, flexi rods and bantu knots that is. They come out looking really defined.
I dont do anything on soaking wet hair because, even though my hair isn't that long, the drying time is ridiculous. Even when I air dry, it takes the whole day to be completely dry.


Anyway, I digress. Back to the point. My rollersets are never really as smooth as I would like which I find annoying really. So I reached out to Judy (@fluffcoif) on instagram who always has the smoothest results and she's 100% natural! I'm not kidding guys, check this out:



She was kind enough to explain what she does and even tagged me in some of her previous posts where she explains her process in details. Being a good student, I took notes. Here's how this washday went:

1. Pre Poo and Detangled:
Before taking down my braids I had actually deep conditioned and shampooed my scalp with Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo, but I think that shampoo has a negative effect on my hair (I'll explain in a separate post), so after I took it down, I sprayed small sections with water, added a little Mega Growth Detangling Conditioner and detangled.

2. Extreme Deep Condition:
I really didn't like how my hair looked after detangling. It felt great, but it looked terrible. Really weird (at this point, I was giving my shampoo the side eye). I call this an extreme deep conditioning process because for the first time in my hair journey, I added castor oil to my deep conditioner. I wrapped my hair in saran wrap, put on a shower cap and let it sit for a good two hours.


3. Co Washed:
After rinsing out the deep conditioner, I co washed with Mega Growth Pro-Growth conditioner and left it in for another five minutes. After rinsing my hair wasn't back to normal, it was better than normal!

4. Roller set:
I didn't blot with a towel or T-Shirt dry, I just got out of the bathroom and went right into roller setting. According to Judy, in order to get the smoothest results, your hair has to be drenched in water. Also, she applies a little of her conditioner (Tresemmes Natural), before roller setting. For me, that was my Pro Growth complex conditioner.
Using the Mohawk method, I parted my hair in small sections, detangled, sprayed more water, applied a little conditioner and smoothed it out with a fine toothed comb before wrapping it around the rollers.

Other tips from Judy:
- The hair must be taut (stretched out with no slack) as you are rolling the hair and pinned firmly to the base of the roller with two bobby pins on either side.

-Sit under the drier until hair is completely dry (confession: this is another thing I don't do properly. *covers face)


- Lay edges down after taking down the rollers with Eco Styler Gel, tie it with a silk scarf for twenty minutes and then brush out the "gel" from your hair. I didn't do this because my edges were fine when I took down the rollers and got even smoother after I wrapped it. If I need to lay my edges down, I'll just use ORS edge control (See Product Review Here).

Finally, because of the terrible light condition, I couldn't use my blow drier so I air dried for TWENTY-FOUR HOURS. Yep. That's right. I sucked it up and slept on those babies.

Enough talking!!! It's picture time...


Air dried with the rollers on overnight.



The take down...



Applied some oil to my fingers and finger-combed through.



Wrapped



Results!




Come on, tell me you are gonna try this.

The Wash Day Experience

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. *Yay* You know I love a good roller set and all the tips Judy gave you are spot on. I don't like air-drying roller sets because it takes FOREVER. However, with our electricity problems in Nigeria, we don't always have a choice. You've inspired me to try a roller wrap for my next wash day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It takes a decade. But the results are ridiculous. For one bad night? Totally worth it.

      Delete
  2. Awesome results! Its like you flat iron your hair, sleek and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? And I didn't! I used zero heat on this one. I might as well throw my flat iron in the trash...or sell it on OLX!

      Delete
  3. Great results! Your hair looks super smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super smooth results, your rollerset was a huge success!! Straight and flowy.
    I have plans to rollerset in a few weeks and also air dry overnight the rollers aren't the comfiest but hey results are worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peechy! Yup, the results are definitely worth it!

      Delete
  5. Gurl your hair looked luscious!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Like us on Facebook