My Big Chop: what, how, why...

12:16:00


This time last week, I was sitting in front of a mirror snipping away at my relaxed hair, with no idea what I was going to do once I was done. I didn't want to dwell on it so I immediately braided my hair and I managed to squeeze out one picture to post on the blog. This week, I'm loving my hair and I'm ready to be a bit more detailed in my reason for cutting my hair this soon.


WHAT?! I know right? This is the reaction I got from almost everyone I told about cutting my hair. I even asked myself a similar question: "What did you just do?!" I had no idea I was even going to cut my hair this quick, I mean, I'm only 6 months into my transition so there's still some texlaxed hair on my head, but still, I thought I would get to a year before I started cutting off the ends but oh well, these things happen. If you thought I was going to define what a big chop is, I am so sorry, I don't know how to define it, I mean I basically just cut off a large chunk of my hair. That's it, and I'm not completely natural so technically, it  doesn't count.


HOW? Okay now this I can explain, it's really easy. I just sprayed my hair with water and applied conditioner on it, and the curls popped right up. I could see the difference between the texlaxed and the bone straight and I cut it off at the point where they meet. I did this in really small sections to avoid stories that touch the heart. It was a little difficult in some areas where the texture wasn't as defined , so I had to wing it, but it turned out okay.

Length Check: Collar bone length


WHY? I was totally over it. My natural/texlaxed area just made the relaxed parts look really thin and coupled with the unevenness caused by the breakage, I was just over everything and I decided even it out.

How do I feel? To be honest, I was sorta blank for a week! I didn't know how to react, my hair has never been this short before, but after taking down the cornrows, I was absolutely in love with it! After deep conditioning, I wanted to see how it looked straightened, but halfway through the process, the lights went out (#RealityCheck) so I stretched the rest of my hair using flexirods.




I definitely need to incorporate more trims and protein treatments into my regimen in order for the hair to stay healthy and fresh over time.

What have you done to your hair lately?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Your cut looks really nice! I want to cut my hair too but not a big chop just yet. I'm trying to get rid of my dead ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! She cut her hair! That was really bold. But I must say that I totally love the thickness of your hair. Sha don't worry, it will grow longer again in no time.

    Joie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks great right now! I say it was a good decision. Those relaxed were probably not worth the trouble, especially since you are already contending with texlaxed hair and 6 months of new growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! There's nothing like the exhilaration when starting a new journey and OMG look at all that THICKNESS honey!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Like us on Facebook